Attention playwrights! Sundog Theatre is seeking one-act play submissions for Scenes from the Staten Island Ferry 2018.
2018 marks Sundog Theatre’s 16th annual presentation of new, original, short one-act plays about our favorite boat that takes passengers and tourists from Staten Island to Manhattan and back – the Staten Island Ferry. Productions dates are April 14-22, 2018.
To date, Sundog has presented 85 original one-acts in the popular Scenes from the Staten Island Ferry. Plays have come from Staten Islanders, from writers around the country, and from playwrights in Europe, Asia and Australia. Several of these plays have been published and have gone on to be produced elsewhere.
– Submit original plays not previously produced or published, with a signed note affirming that.
– Plays should be at least 15 minutes long (max. 25 minutes) and have their setting on the Staten Island Ferry.
– Plays should be contemporary, involve 2-3 characters and require no special set pieces other than benches or railings found on the Ferry, limited and easily accessible props, costumes, and no special sound or lighting requirements.
– Avoid overt and unnecessary sexual/violence/language since we cater to a broad audience.
– No musicals or long monologues since plays are memorized by actors in a short time.
– As in life, humor is good.
For this year’s presentation submitted plays should incorporate a science fiction and/or supernatural element. Some possible topics to get your creative juices flowing (do not limit to these): Space travel, Time travel, Superhuman, Apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic, Fantasy, Supernatural Fiction, Superhero Fiction, Ghost Stories, Spirits, Seances, and Past Life Stories.
Remuneration: The six playwrights whose plays are chosen will receive $100 each and their plays presented five dates: April 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 2018 in Staten Island.
– Please send two copies, bound or stapled, blind submission (removable cover page with title, author, and contacts) to Sundog Theatre, “Scenes 2018” PO Box 183, Staten Island, NY 10301.
As per “blind submission” requirements: please do NOT put your name on each page.
Make sure to include the title of your play on each page at the bottom or top.
– Include a brief synopsis and 70-word playwright bio.
– Should be postmarked no later than January 15, 2018.
– No electronic submissions.
– Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org, Susan Fenley, Producer.
– There is no fee for submission.
Notification: Playwrights of selected plays will be contacted directly and their names listed on Sundog’s website early 2018.